The St. Louis Meramec Canoe Company was founded by Alfred Wickett in the early 1920's. Wickett previously worked for the Old Town Canoe Company from ca.1900 to 1914 and he founded the Penobscot Canoe Company (Pecaco) in 1915. Alfred Wickett was a resident of Kirkwood, Missouri.
In the early 30's, Wickett, with his son Laurence formed the St. Louis Boat and Canoe Company, and Laurence later formed the St. Louis Boat and Motor Company. The building still stands on Barton Street in Valley Park.
The canoes produced are generally thought of as higher quality than Old Town or Penobscot canoes. They are highly sought after by collectors and canoeists. The real prize on this one is the intact decal which is so rare on any Arrowhead canoe that it makes the canoe much more valuable.
The 16' Meramec Arrowhead canoe is a fine solo canoe and great tandem day tripper. Because of it's low volume (which creates speed) is not a good tandem weekend tripper. The hull has excellent final stability and it very fast and quiet. Actual decal of canoe is shown. Contrary to common belief, this canoe would do quite well on the North Fork with an experienced paddler at the helm. It is light, quiet, and easy to maneuver.